Monday, August 4, 2014

Montesori Northwest Graduation Speech

            Here is the full text of the graduation speech I gave at Montessori Northwest.  I took my 3 hour oral exams on Thursday and got the call from Elise that I had passed about an hour later.  I was drained and fell asleep, then immediately started working on the speech to read at graduation Friday afternoon.  It was the first time I have shared something so personal in front of so many people and it was powerful to see people's reactions to it; lots of laughter and tears as well.  I've resisted the urge to proofread it and edit... This is what I read from that afternoon, typos and all.

            This year has been a blur of submissions, corrections, charts and exams and its been hard for any of us to absorb what’s been happening to us and what we have accomplished.  Hopefully today and this weekend we can truly reflect and take time to be proud of ourselves.
            For each of us this year has been a struggle, an adventure, and an inspiration.  I thought after my exam about the different fears we have each overcome this year.  Some people have faced adult fears of singing or dancing in front of others, or of telling stories, or of drawing little doodles of leaves and flowers.  And some have faced fears that chased them from childhood of fractions or letters being used in math, or typing page after page of notes then proofreading, spellchecking and printing.  We’ve even struggled with childhood social anxieties about choosing a spot to sit at lunch or a partner to work with.  At first our program felt like a reality tv show where we were locked in a room with a lot of weird stuff and 22 strangers for a couple hours while an audience of Elise, Jenn and John got to sit and watch what happened.  Like Montessori kids we could experiment with social interactions and group dynamics as we built a structure to study and master lessons; we learned how to organize work time within groups and balance work with socializing.  Its rare for either a child or adult in our culture to have a chance to get this close to people from all over the whole world and engage with them every day.  I’m grateful for all I learned together with all of you and also what I learned from each of you.  By the end of the year you could look around during our study time and feel the energy in the room of adults deeply engaged in what they were passionate about- everyone doing different work but in a zone of intense concentration.  Time would seem to stand still as we all got deep into our work then looked up in disbelief to realize hours had gone by without our attention wavering.

            We’ve all faced adversities this year and I would like to share a little bit about mine in hopes that it resonates with some of you in this room.  For me one of the struggles this year has been with my “carelessness” that has haunted me since my 2nd grade teacher first brought it up.  My struggle in school was always losing every important document sent home, not knowing when a due date was, or not having systems to prioritize and get simple, stupid, little things done.  And people told me to just be organized and stop being forgetful or absentminded, but my schooling never taught me how to do this.
            As an adult I have struggled with related issues: with losing credit cards or important documents, or forgetting adult due dates, like not paying a parking ticket before it doubles for late payment, or registering on time for Loyola classes.  As a first year public school teacher last year these problems were one of many reasons I wasn’t able to be successful.



            Children’s work and scraps stacked up around me and no one had any idea where the supplies they needed were.   Being organized for myself is more than I ever could accomplish so setting 25 little bodies up to be organized just wasn’t going to happen.
            In the beginning of the course the same struggles threatened to drown me- just keeping track of what I needed to do for each assignment and printing then reprinting pages while organizing my thoughts was overwhelming.  Then corrections started piling up.  I would look at a mass of papers and things I needed to do and not even begin to know where I could start dealing with them.  I was on the verge of shutting down.
            I read an article recently that talked about procrastination as the dark playground.  When you’re in the dark playground you are having fun or maybe even just wasting time on the internet, but you feel dread because you know you’re supposed to be doing something else.  Then slowly you get further and further behind, avoiding what you really need to do, and the dread starts to creep up on you, but you don’t even know how to get started so you ignore it and stay in a darker and darker playground.  I felt like this often last year in public school -so overwhelmed by everything I had to do that I couldn’t even face it or think about it.  I never learned how to be an adult who organizes his own time and gets the things he needs to get done.  I was always able to get by in school based on understanding math and writing the way it was taught, I was lucky in that regard.  But I never truly learned organizational systems to thrive- in school I was told exactly what to do but as a teacher I had no idea how to manage my time and organize to teach without someone telling me what to do.  And too many adults today don’t know how to think for themselves and are even comforted by controlling bosses ordering them around because its all they know.
            A couple months into the year I started to slip into this same place and get behind in my work. I had so much to do that I often struggled to even face it or get started.   Then somehow with the support of Elise, Jen, John and Gloria I came back and completed the work load.  A big reason for this is training forcing us to focus so
intensely on what we are working on.  Like the children, we have that work period and a choice of a certain number of things to think deeply about and engage with.  Our brains are so cluttered by this society we live in and everything that drains our attention that almost everyone I know will sometimes waste an entire night clicking through different links on a computer screen and afterwards be unable to say what they actually did or accomplished; we race from one distraction to another without truly being present.  Being at MNW taught me to truly focus on one thing with all of my being.  A critical point for me in this year was when I started pausing before I went to work to think about what materials I would need for what I was doing.  I took a minute to be aware of where I needed to be, what I needed to do and what I would need to hold in my mind and think about while I acted.   This opened up a space for me to breathe, relax and shut out everything but what I needed to do to accomplish one task at a time.  I was then able to use the same focus towards organizational and logistical tasks in life.  I started enjoying facing the stacks of papers as I would print a submission.  I would relax, breathe, then lay out the papers and binders I needed on my floor, stretch out and get to work on exactly what I needed to do.
            The class is so fast paced that procrastination was impossible.  With the support of staff, my classmates and the focus I learned in the prepared environment I was able to learn to charge ahead on my work.  Rather than making excuses to put things off I learned to do whatever I could today to make tomorrow easier.  I know I have learned some kind of adult version of freedom and responsibility because after coming home from exams I immediately started organizing and packing my things to leave.  Last year I would have said I had accomplished enough for the day and started partying right after the test was over.  Now I know that packing Thursday would allow me to enjoy the weekend with all of you.
            I decided to take this course based on instinct after almost no experience with Montessori.  A year ago I was down in a deep hole.  People were telling me I was a natural teacher but I couldn’t put the pieces together to succeed as a teacher and had no idea what else I could do with my life if I couldn’t be successful in this.  I can honestly say that this course has saved my life, and taught me that I really can be a teacher in a system I believe in, and not only that but a successful, well adapted adult.  I don’t expect the coming years to be easy, but like all of you I know I can succeed after facing 3 hours of intense questioning from revered experts within a field.
            And so the last year for me has been a struggle to learn to be an adult and come back from a low point in my life.  Yet many of you learned to be adults and face your toughest adversities years ago and you have still grown as much as I through this course.  One of my classmates dropped out of school as a teenager after being told she was worthless by the traditional education system.  And yet somehow after that she managed to run her own business, start an incredible family and find the fountain of youth in a Canadian garden of eden.  Yet as Ginny told us early in the course, we all have come here because for whatever reason we have decided we want to be the followers and the younger children in a mixed-age class learning from those who know something we don’t.  Even after all that she has accomplished she has come back to face childhood fears of fractions, and Montessori has showed that no matter what some idiot principal told her as a child she actually is as good at math as anyone I’ve ever met when it is presented in a logical sequence.  I hope you know that your life story is a deep inspiration to me and many of and I can’t wait to see what else you accomplish.
            Like most Montessorians early in the year I struggled with one of the big questions: is Montessori a cult?  What I eventually decided and have shared with some of you was that in our society we label anything people care deeply about and invest deeply in a cult.  We waste away our precious life energy as divided, fleeting and shallow attention is the norm in our society.  Nothing has value or meaning as everything is made of plastic and to break right away to keep us buying and wasting.  Cynicism replaces passion and those with a unique passion are called obsessed rather than devoted by society, although less so in Portland than elsewhere.  In Montessori we value objects and care for them, and we value tradition and doing things the way they have been done by those before us.  Not only that, but we have spent a year truly dedicated to one thing, completely focused on learning to give these lessons we have shut everything else out.  We have had faith to believe that what we are doing is so valuable that it is worth whatever sacrifices it entails.  Although I can never truly understand it, I feel like this year I have gained some appreciation of what Sister has done by giving her life over completely to faith in what she believes, knowing that whatever she sacrifices is worth it to choose dedication to her beliefs.
            And through this dedication we have had a chance to be part of a legacy, to learn from someone who learned from a student of Maria Montessori herself.  When we sit and tell the story of the universe to children we will be passing on something that has survived so many trends and still stayed relevant for a century after it was written.
            And so now we will drift out to distant corners of the world like dandelion seeds in the wind.  And yet wherever we land we will carry the legacy of Elise’s training and Margaret Stephenson's and Mario and Maria’s before.  We will be true to the training and yet use our unique gifts of reasoning to adapt it to the environment we are in and make it our own.  I know the adventures in Montessori are just beginning for all of us and I can’t wait to hear all of your stories of how this works in the classroom.  Thank you all for being part of my journeys.  Some of us are going straight into other stressful situations like at Loyola.  Some will even go right back to work at this very training center within a couple weeks, can you imagine??  Yet whatever stress and challenges await, I hope we each take some time in the next few days to think about what these means and be proud of ourselves.  After all we’ve been through we can accomplish whatever we dream.  Thank you all.



The dark playground- GREAT ARTICLE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment